Tuesday, April 17, 2018

I'm not a change guy

I’m not a change kind of guy. Today at the airport, I needed to empty my pockets. I asked the TSA official if I needed to empty my pocket of change. He asked how much & I responded by showing at least a handful. He told me to put in a bin. When I emptied my pocket, he looked in shock. He asked how long I had been accumulating my change. I answered Thanksgiving & then said when I came home for Thanksgiving, I had about $20 of change in my pocket. He laughed, handed me my bin, & we went our separate ways. Oddly enough, I did not empty my change-filled pocket when I came home for Thanksgiving.

Living in Philadelphia, I toured the US Mint. Very educational, although seeing the actual minting process was a letdown. One interesting fact is they only produce coins, not dollar bills, there. To explore Philadelphia, I use the Market-Frankford Line, commonly known as the EL. While I use tokens for Mass & other ministry & job-related travels, I use my own money for recreational purposes. Each time costs $2.25, & as the SEPTA officers will so kindly inform you, exact change only. Therefore, I have kept my change on my nightstand, & when I go on adventures into the city, I grab my quarters. The other denominations are left behind. Rarely do I ever use change elsewhere. Sure, it would be helpful. Sure, I would not use those green bills. I’m just not a change guy.

Unfortunately, today required me to make an exception. While eating at Subway, I needed a refill. I asked for a refill, only to be told it cost 54 cents! I groaned in disgust. I bought their food, am looking for something to quench my thirst when enjoying their food, & they are going to charge me more for that? BS! Sadly, my thirst overcame my displeasure. Luckily, I had change. I handed the cashier the change unhappily, snatched my drink from him, & stormed away. When I was home over Thanksgiving Break, I cashed in my change. Finally putting all the denominations to good use. I used that money for Christmas presents. Yes, I will continue to use quarters in my exploration of Philadelphia & the surrounding area. The change will accumulate on my nightstand though. What can I say? I’m not a change guy

No comments:

Post a Comment